Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Art of Fielding

Thanks to a long weekend, I finished reading The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach. I loved this book! As ashamed as I am to admit it, when I saw how thick it is, I hesitated. But, my wonderful librarian assured me I'd love it so I picked it up. And I was not disappointed.

This is an incredible feat of writing--a novel that somehow comes across as old-fashioned in voice and the sweep of characters, and yet, there are modern issues tackled. All of it done with humor and grace and such well-rounded, well-thought-out characters you find yourself rooting for them, even if, like me, you have never been a big baseball fan.

This is a baseball book, and it's not. It's so much more than that. It's one of the best books I've read this year, one that will stay with me long after my thin grasp on bunting has faded.

No comments:

Post a Comment