Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Lost Memory of Skin

Every once in a while I come across a book that is so good, so well-written, and so disturbing I don't know what to say about it. Russell Banks' The Lost Memory of Skin is that book for me these days. About a convicted sex offender, this book is a tough sell. And yet, Banks does what he does best: reveal the underbelly of society in a way that makes a reader root for the most undesirable characters. Maybe I'm drawn to this kind of writing because my characters somehow always meander off into the unlikeable (so I've been told). Or maybe I'm just drawn to really, really good writing. This book made me laugh, and cry, and want to take some kind of social action. It definately made me think more sympathetically about people who are marginalized. And yes, I think this book will be a hard sell. It's not a light read and some of it is disturbingly graphic. But for those of you looking for something honestly good, and provocative, and eye-opening, read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment